recent posts...

Friday, November 22, 2013

Curio Cabinet


Been so busy at the store I haven't been able to get a post out but when this piece came along I thought you might be interested in the transformation.

I repurpose furniture for a living.

Why then do I still get so surprised at the after?

This curio cabinet came to me as someone's craft project gone bad. I know that is relative but it was bad in my book.

It was spray painted blue. A pretty blue but still not done well...drips and things in the paint.....

The bad part was the vintage recipes glued to the back.

I would have loved that, but they added magazines and colored paper and it was just a design mess!!

Honestly the before picture doesn't look as bad as it really was.

I added a little knob, paint and beautiful fabric to update the look.
Isn't it pretty?





The angle of the piece made it hard for me to take a picture.

I have used fabric before and I love applying it to the back of cabinets and hutches.

Because the paper and magazine recipes were glued and bubbled I knew fabric is what had to be done to fix it. That or replace the whole back. I feel the fabric gives it the pop it needs.

The before....


This would have worked with some extra care taken. Using vintage recipe cards and mod podging them smoothly to the back and painting and distressing the cabinet to tie into the vintage look.
My opinion anyway....
Take or leave it...

This is my after....


I think it is stunning now.

What do you think? 

It is available at Dreamingincolor store!

Come on out and take a look!

504 N Maney Ave Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Thanks to all my readers for your support while I am getting my store ready for the holiday!



If you would like to keep up with Dreaming in Color
enter your email address to get posts in your inbox!:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...linking to
Miss Mustard Seed

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Your make over Is Absolutely Stunning. Made a world of difference. Great Job. I wish that was my cabinet tho. I would love to have one like that
ColleenB.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

It is quite stunning and I love the colors! Nice job Deneen!

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

Your work is absolutely beautiful! I have a curio cabinet similar to this only it is mirrored on the back all the way down to the bottom. What type of backing did this have before being covered?

Unknown said...

It looks great! Congrats on your own store-- that's so exciting!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Nice job Deneen! It looks great. You're right the recipe thing is a good idea - could have been really cute.

Little Miss Maggie said...

She's gorgeous now. That's for sure.

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

Great job with the cabinet....I love you fabric choice. Now I am off today to finish a painting project before the holidays!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

The after is so much prettier.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

definitely a major improvement! Sometime people just don't have enough experience, hence it doesn't come out too great. I think the fabric is a fantastic choice, and the painted color...much better